How Your Health Centre Can Support Your Family After Trauma

24 May 2022
 Categories: Health & Medical , Blog


Trauma can take many forms, and when one person experiences trauma in a family, it usually impacts the whole family in some way. It may be a death in the family, a life-altering accident, a serious assault, a terminal illness or the breakdown of a key relationship. But regardless of the cause of the trauma, families don't have to struggle through it alone. Your family health centre can offer a range of supportive services that can either be accessed through an appointment with your GP or by self-referring through your health centre's website. Read on to learn about some of the supportive services commonly offered that can be useful after trauma.


Trauma can be a catalyst for a range of other health problems, such as depression, addiction, insomnia and obesity. If you're struggling with a trauma-induced health problem, speak to your GP. They may be able to prescribe medication to help control symptoms and get you back to a healthy place again. Trying out a medication doesn't mean you're committing to taking it long-term, but you may find you're surprised by the positive impact the correct medication can have on your healing journey.

Talking Therapy

Family health centres often have on-site counsellors who offer one-to-one counselling, family counselling or group counselling and support groups. You can often self-refer to these services, and you'll have an initial assessment with a counsellor to determine what form of talking therapy would be most beneficial to you as an individual or to your family. In situations where you may need specialist mental health support, your GP can make a referral to a hospital-based mental health team.

Tertiary Referrals

As already mentioned, trauma can lead to the development of a range of physical and mental health problems. When you are in the process of recovering from trauma, you may begin to feel ready to tackle some of these problems, such as addiction, disordered eating or obesity. Your health centre may offer specialist clinics to treat these conditions, or your GP may need to make a tertiary referral to an external support service or hospital-based clinic. For example, you may benefit from residential treatments for an addiction, referral to a psychiatrist for disordered eating or an appointment with a dietician to tackle issues with your weight.

Trauma can take a heavy toll on family relationships and on your personal health and wellbeing. If your family have experienced a traumatic event, seek support from your medical centre and find out what services they offer and how to access them. Contact a family health centre near you to learn more.